Sunday, September 11, 2011

Finola's story part 3

On that fateful day in August, the judge decided he would live with his Grandma.  All Brody's things were packed and he was picked up that afternoon.  I vividly remember waving good bye to him with tears welling up in my eyes, and his smiling back at me in his little batman onsie I had picked out for him a while ago.  I knew very well that would be the last time I would ever see him.

Reflecting back on that experience is when I learned the most.  Brody taught me to take whatever life had thrown at you and smile through it anyway, make the best of wherever you are.  One of the biggest lessons from those four months was that I have to love not only what's good for me, but what is good for the ones I love as well.  It's not all about me, it's about being selfless and knowing what Brody needed was to be with his biological family because they could love him just as much as we did.  And most importantly Brody being in our house helped me see that loving even when you know it may not be permanent is okay.  Life's about loving and learning to let go when it's the right thing to do.  It's about giving all you have to this world and living to the fullest.

I still walk up the hall quietly sometimes thinking I don't want to wake Brody up, and when 'Crazy for You' by Adele plays on my iPod, I still get teary.  But I could not be happier that Brody came into my family's life for four fleeting months.  I still can't believe a baby taught me life lessons, but that has made all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment