Saturday, October 22, 2011

A Mistake?

I took Primo to his two month check up.  I think I may have made a mistake with his paper work.

At his first visit in the city I was not asked to sign anything, the visit was a mess because I had none of the correct paper work from my agency, but he had to see a doctor within 48 hours of being placed with us.

Let me digress here to explain again that Primo is my first placement.  I remember a lot of my training but not all of it.  AND....Primo's case worker is an intern.  I am not sure she knows any more than I do.  I like Primo's worker, she is earnest, honest, friendly and doing the best she can.  But sometimes it feels a bit like the blind leading the blind around here.

Anyway, I arrived late for Primo's doctors appointment at the new office he will seen at from now on, because I got lost.

I was checked in and was handed paper work, I questioned this because he was already  in their system from his first visit.  (Different office same network, practice or whatever)

They smiled and insisted, I was not sure what to do, did I mention I still do not have Primo's health insurance packet from DHS? 

I could not fill out family history, all I really have is Primo's name and birth date.  I didn't know who to put as responsible party for the bills, I had started to write my name due to force of habit...

I did not have time to complete the paper work before being called back for his appointment.

When the visit was over I was asked to sign two things electronically, something I had never done for any of my children in the past. 

By now you can picture the scene:  Me holding a hysterical Primo, who has just received 4 immunizations, staring a small electronic signature thingy, and being told I was signing some sort of HIPA thing and something else I don't recall at this point, neither of which I was asked to read first.

The moment I got Primo in the car, helped him settle down and started the 45 minute drive home I freaked out and remembered that there are some things I am not allowed to sign.

Maybe going to the doctor in the city was a better option they had a lot of experience with foster parents, not so much in suburbs.  (This was made supremely obvious when the doctor suggested we run a certain blood test given some of what we know about Primo's start in life, and because I really should know if he has this certain disease.  This was about the only right move I made, at the appointment from Hell, I said no.)  I don't think I am allowed to know that, right?

I tossed and turned all night worrying about what I had signed, of course my appointment was Friday afternoon, so nothing is open and my case worker is at home.

I am beating myself up right now.  I hate the thought that I may have screwed something up for Primo, my agency or myself.

I am back to hitting the Rescue Remedy real hard.

5 comments:

  1. You are a medical consenter. You get to know everything you possibly can find out about any and every medical issue. In my state the foster parents are first in line with that kind of stuff. I'm pretty sure you can agree to anything except a procedure that requires anesthesia. In Texas, that has to be signed off by a judge first. But as far as "routine" medical appointments go, you should be able to agree to blood tests and things like that.

    Signing things can be a little bit more tricky as they do throw a lot of things at you to sign. I won't give my social security number and I won't sign anything that says I'm responsible financially. I had a hospital ER try to give me some grief about that one once but eventually they saw things my way and stopped asking me to sign.

    It gets easier. :) I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you did just fine. Usually I leave most of the medical history blank or N/A it. For the contact info i usually put the case workers name and CPS/DHS address.I always sign my first name and for last name I put foster parent, just in case if the bio's ever happen to get a copy of it they won't have my last name. Ive only ever gotten two insurance cards out of 7 foster kids, i just always use the 'notice to provider' as proof of their health insurance. Not sure how it is in your state but in our state if you look on your monthly billing statement the childs ID# should also be his insurance ID# too. Were aloud to sign for most anything as long as it's not for any type of surgery. Also, for us here in Arizona, if a doctor recomends a procedure or shots or anything we have to go along with it, were not aloud to say no. If a doctor recommends it we have to do it. One of my placements needed stitches and I was able to sign for that. Hope some of this helps. Relax a bit... Don't be so nervous . Sounds like your doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your comments, you have made me feel SO much better. I can't wait until I am an "old pro".

    ReplyDelete
  4. i see i'm reading this late but...

    in fla you are NOT allowed to run blood tests - esp if it's to find out what disease they may have. you couldn't do it just b/c of family background. i know it sounds crazy - but it was a question that came up in our MAPP class. we are not the actual guardians - the state is - we are "caregivers". i know that we had a couple drop out of doing foster care during our training b/c of this fact. Good choice... i figure if you make a small mistake in signing something - you can always breathe through it.

    you could have called back the next day (you may have :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, here too I cannot order any tests and am just a caregiver, not a guardian. The test was never run, but the doctor wanted to run it for Primo's sake too, to take care of his health. I still need to check in with my social worker about how I would deal with the test if the doctor ordered it. I guess I wouldn't have to see the results.

    I understand the "rules" but I also feel that it would be very difficult NOT to catch some serious
    illnesses from a baby given how they drool, spit up and pee on you.

    I did call back the next day and straighten out the paper work.

    ReplyDelete