Thursday, November 10, 2011

Crazy

This week when Primo's visit ran late I was in the waiting room with a bunch of people waiting for their parenting class to start.


It was shocking, two women were obviously high.  One poor woman kept asking everyone if they had seen her twin boys?  She said they were with her mother and sister who were trying to keep them from her.  Her every other word was a !$%@ and she became very agitated and threatening.  She kept repeating that she had 5 children and could only find 2 of them and if any of us stood between her and her children...


The smell in the room was horrible and everyone looked uncomfortable.


I felt shell shocked when I left and cried most of the way home.


Drugs and alcohol are so devastating to families.


Can parenting even be taught?


I feel so depressed about Primo's future right now.

1 comment:

  1. I am confident that parenting can be taught. But the people taking the class must WANT to learn! And the teachers doing the teaching must have the desire to connect and make change. They must believe that they can make a difference. Unfortunately, I believe that most of the above elements are totally missing in a court ordered parenting class.

    I share your depression.

    To add to the mix -- my little Pumpkin has severe developmental delays. Her mom needs to have even more training and a deeper support system. They don't have a class for parenting a child with special needs.

    Shoot -- it's my understanding that ALL parenting classes have been discontinued in our county due to lack of funds. I hardly know what is part of a parent's case plan other than come to visits. << sigh >>

    ReplyDelete