Friday, December 23, 2011

If you've ever thought about it...

Wednesday night while mindlessly flicking through the channels I came across "A Home for the Holidays" on CBS.  I was pleasantly surprised to see a whole program devoted to foster care and adoption on a major network.


I cried and snuggled Primo close as I watched.  I felt proud to be involved in foster care.

If you have ever thought of helping children through foster care I urge you to take the next step and look into process of becoming a foster parent.  It is easier than ever to find information thanks to the internet.

Foster care was something I thought about for years before we signed up for the training.


I truly wish that Mike and I had done our foster care training years ago.  


Foster care is not easy, this is true.  It starts with hours of training and literally inches of paper work, strangers in and out of your house and lots of time.  These are all relatively minor inconveniences as they allow you to care safely for some of the too many children in the foster care system who need safe homes and families to help them heal and grow.


I could fill this post with a long list of complaints about the foster care system, it is far from effective when it comes to serving children.  I can control almost nothing about this system with the exception of the attitude and willingness to work I bring to the system.


What I can control is the care that Primo receives in my home.  This care does not have to be perfect, it can be loving and creative. 

My home does not have to be perfect, but it must be safe and warm.  

I don't have to be perfect, but I do my best to be reliable, organized and present for Primo.

Foster care is hard work, but if you have ever thought about it or felt called to help children, take the next step. 



3 comments:

  1. hi there,
    saw you were part of the same blog hop, wondering how you were doing.... Just posted some new info. on blended foster/bio kids, wondered if you had any insights
    John
    fosterparentrescue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I jumped onto your blog hop, thanks. I love your blog, but for some reason I am unable to post comments. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete