Sunday, February 12, 2012

Primo's hair and skin care

When we had E in our home it was our first experience with caring for curly ethnic hair.


I made all of the typical mistakes, washed too often and used baby oil and petroleum jelly to "moisturize" his hair.


When Primo arrived I started doing research online about how to best care for his hair.  Now that he is actually napping I have had more time to read up on hair and skin care for chocolate babies.










This is what I use for his skin, it was recommended to me by E's doctor for his eczema.  Primo also has skin issues and this lotion works great on his skin.






For Primo's baths I've tried a couple different "baby washes" and this one is the one I like best so far.  It is organic and good for dry skin, it has a fairly heavy scent as far as I'm concerned, but I have yet to find anything better for him.  An added plus is that I can pick it up at Target in the baby section.






The first must have for Primo's hair was a wide toothed comb, which I picked up at Target for about $3.




I only wash Primo's hair once a week with conditioner.  I have tried a couple of hair washing products and this is what works best for his hair.  It is all natural and I can pick it up at Whole Foods, and it smells so good.










To keep Primo's hair from getting dry and brittle I use organic coconut oil a couple times a week.  You can cook with this stuff or ingest it straight as a dietary supplement, and use it as skin moisturizer, so I feel very comfortable using it regularly on Primo's hair.
Just a reminder, a little goes a long way!  This comes in a tub as a solid, but turns liquid quickly just from the warmth of your hands.  Don't worry about the smell, it has a nice coconut smell for a little while and then the scent goes away.


I ordered this online, but I think you can get it at Health Food stores too.










I have picked up two more products because of the rave reviews online and the fact that I can pick it up at Target along with the Eucerin Calming Creme.


Kinky-Curly Come Clean Shampoo for use about every 4-6 weeks for a wash out of build up of product and anything else Primo may get in his hair.  Before I wash his hair with this I make sure I have massaged a good amount of organic coconut oil into his hair sometime during the day before his bath to help keep his hair from having too much moisture stripped out during washing.


Primo's Mom has made it clear that she doesn't want his hair cut until he is a year old.  Primo already has about an inch (and growing) of hair on the top of his head, but he is bald in the back and sides right now.  If we wait another 7 months to cut his hair he is going to have a lot of height in his hair which will be difficult to keep neat, clean and under control.  So I picked up some Kinky-Curly Knot Today leave in detangler .  Both the shampoo and detangler are organic and cost me about $12 a piece at Target in the regular hair care section.


I've tried the detangler and it is awesome and makes combing through his hair much easier for both of us.


The total cost of the above mentioned products is about $75 in my area of the country, but with the exception of the Eucerin (which I buy about every 3 months), all of the other products will easily last me 9 months to a year.


I would love to hear from any of you dealing with curly ethnic hair, let me know if you have a product you "can't live without".  I'm always open to trying new things and I know that as Primo's hair changes and he gets older I may need some stronger stuff.


I'm putting a lot of time and research into keeping Primo's hair healthy and happy.





No comments:

Post a Comment