Monday, March 5, 2012

knowing my limit

I said yes to doing emergency respite care for a 17 month old boy this week.

It has been a long time since I had two little ones in the house and now I remember why.

I stepped into the shower on the second night that little respite guy was with us and suddenly had tunnel vision, heavy limbs and awful nausea.  I had no choice but to sit down on the shower floor.  I was suddenly so thirsty all I could do was gulp mouthfuls of shower water and wait for my other symptoms to subside, which they did in about 20 minutes.

Intellectually I thought I would be fine with 5 kids in the house.  But the reality was that my days were filled with chasing down a 17 month old, baby proofing on the fly, rocking him to sleep for an hour every night, driving my girls to their various activities, changing LOTS of poopy diapers, making bottles, washing bottles, laundry, helping with school projects, driving again, foster parent training, laundry, driving, not getting enough house cleaning done, driving, fixing little meals, snacks and juice cups, visits for both babies, making bottles and rice cereal, social worker visits, not getting enough sleep, WIC appointment,  and did I mention DRIVING AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN?

So, the moral of this story is that even if my brain felt confident about caring for 5 children, my body told a different and more realistic story.  I need to know my limits, for my sake, my husband's sake and for the sake of every child in my home. Sake is an odd word isn't it, but you know what I mean right?

Clearly I'm still not getting enough sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment