Wednesday, September 26, 2012

an alternate universe


That is what court was like.

All I had heard from DH$ and my agency during the past two months leading up to court was that they were looking for permanency for Primo and his brothers. The kid's lawyer went so far as to say their goal for all three children was termination of parental rights (TPR).

Because of this, silly me went to court thinking the case would be heading towards TPR.

You could have knocked me over with a feather when DH$ recommended to the judge that the case continue towards reunification. This coupled with the fact that so many visits were missed this summer struck me as very odd.

Now, this was my first time in a big city court house. The whole place was GINORMOUS. I mean really, there were at least 100 people in our waiting room and this room was 1 of 6 waiting rooms, there were people waiting for 4 or 5 different courtrooms in each waiting room, and that was just on the first floor. The noise was crazy, you could barely hear the person next to you speaking, so holding a conversation was difficult at best.

As large as the waiting room was the court room was teeny tiny, and our time in the court room was equally as small. 15 min, yep that was it, and the judge kept reminding everyone of that fact about every two minutes.

I loved the judge, he did not put up with any crap and was not afraid to shut down a lawyer or witness if he felt they were too long winded. He was practical and fair.

All in all despite the shock of the DH$ recommendation to the judge I felt it was worth while to go to court. I gleaned some important info that I otherwise would have never know about and I realized that it is important for me to attend every court date in the future.


2 comments:

  1. Our case goal is still "return to parent" even though the TPR has been written for both parents and neither is working their caseplan after 18months. I don't think the goal can officially change until TPR is happening. It's ridiculous. I'm glad you're going to court. I always feel more informed after court.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a new foster parent looking to talk with an experienced foster parent. If you would be willing to talk with me, would you please email me at pmenchaca1@gmail.com ---thank you.

    I read your blog all the time and try to find some peace in my life through your experiences.

    ReplyDelete