Sunday, September 8, 2013

As a result of the recent court debacle...

I've come to the realization that I had been putting a lot of my life on hold, waiting and holding my breath waiting for Primo to be legally free for adoption. Not only this, but I'd say Mike and I have both been in a bit of a holding pattern for the past two years. We live court date to court date, waiting and adjusting to each change that comes with each new court date.

Because we've had and infant and now a toddler, who can only be cared for by approved baby-sitters for the last two years, the usual weekend invitations that came our way before foster care have all but ended. We are often too tired and distracted to make the effort to invite other couples over after Primo is in bed.

Recently we were invited out to dinner by a couple we hadn't seen in a long time. This invitation, probably our first in over 6 months, reminded me of all the friends and family we haven't seen regularly over the past two years. I was as excited and happy as a tween who'd just been invited to her first school dance!

All of this was building as we waited all summer long, with very little vacation, for Primo's August court date. What a let down the results of that long awaited for court date were! We've been so caught up in foster care that we've let other areas of our life go, and this has to stop.

Mike and I have both decided to get back to some of the hobbies we've let go over the past two years. We also invited a beloved couple over for dinner after Primo was in bed this weekend, we had SO MUCH FUN!




2 comments:

  1. I agree that that is such a hard part of foster care! Glad that you were able to do some fun things together! We have found in our new state that there is no babysitter policy other than, "If you are comfortable leaving 'your kids' (because they are your kids!) with them than that is fine." Hallelujah!!

    ReplyDelete