Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Update: Primo's hair and skin care

Back in 2012 I wrote about Primo's hair and skin care. Parenting an African American child was new to me and it took me a while to find the products I needed to keep Primo's skin and hair happy and healthy.

Since then I've changed things up a bit so I thought I'd write again about what products work well for Primo now that he's a toddler.

The main reason for the changes to our hair and skin care routine was that I was concerned about the fact that I was spreading lotions on Primo's skin every day that contained many ingredients that I couldn't pronounce and had very little notion of how they may effect him long term.  I was increasingly uncomfortable with the fact that Primo was soaking up a bunch of unnatural stuff, and the skin being the largest organ and all, I decided to research some all natural or gentler lotions and moisturizers.

This is what I've come up with for now. As always if you have any recommendations I would LOVE to hear what works for you.

I'm in love with this product:
You can find here at Truly Pure and Natural, (and this is their photo too) I use this every day on Primo's skin. It's light, fluffy and smells like heaven. I also use Truly Pure and Natural's shampoo and their amazing conditioner, which can be used as a moisturizer too. I know I couldn't believe it either, but it's great for when I need a lighter moisturizer for Primo during the summer months.  I order these three products online, click link above.



I also like Shea Moisture's Raw Shea and Chamomile & Aragan BABY Head-to-toe ointment for when Primo needs a heavy duty moisturizer/oil for his skin or has scrapes that may scar. I can pick this up at Target and a little goes a long way, so it lasts forever.

                                          Photo credit: Target

I also still use plain old coconut oil on Primo's wet hair after a bath to seal in the moisture from the bath. I'm finally coming to the end of the container I bought in 2012!

                                                         Photo credit: Whole Foods

I like Shea Moisture's Curl Enhancing Smoothie for Primo's hair every day. It doesn't have the over powering smell that some of the other hair products I've tried seem to have. I pick this up at Target, and the large tub I have is lasting a long time, so it is well worth the $12.

                                           Photo credit: Target







2 comments:

  1. Hi there Mitzy,

    I am an African American woman who along with my husband have recently become foster parents to 3 children (all African American)- one of them a little boy. His hair tends to be drier than what I am used to, I have natural hair myself, and even his sisters. His mother will not give permission to cut his hair.

    I commend you for doing this research. I am trying not to become a product junkie which can happen with the recent influx of natural hair products that have flooded the market in recent years. I currently use Shea Moisture because that was what I was using, but it appears that is not really working for him. A quick question though before I try it, are the Truly Pure and Natural products tear free?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see anything about tear free. I believe Truly Pure and Natural was founded by a couple who adopted 4 African American children and wanted natural products for their kids.

      I use the Shea Moisture, but I have to say I have not found a daily hair moisturizer that makes my little guy's hair shiny, besides the coconut oil. His hair is very dry, I have tried lots of products without much success.

      Not being able to cut hair is a big pain and makes it harder to have it look healthy, I find that Primo's hair needs a trim every 4-6 weeks.

      Delete